Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Last Van Gogh by Alyson Richman

Last month, when I read Alyson Richman’s “The Lost Wife,” and I saw she had written a book entitled “The Last Van Gogh” I knew I would have to read it.  I have always had a fascination with the artist and a great love for his art. 

The book covers the last seventy days of Van Gogh’s life that he spent in Auvers-sur-Oise, being treated by Dr. Gachet. During his seventy days there he completed seventy painting.  The Gachet household welcomed him in and the doctor’s daughter, Marguerite was a favorite object of the artist’s eye.  Marguerite, tired of living in a repressive household, believe Vincent’s arrival signals a change in her destiny. How will their relationship be accepted by Marguerite’s father and how will it affect Vincent’s artwork?

The book is a wonderful combination of facts and conjecture.  Loved it.  Ms. Richman pulled me in once again and I did not want to leave.

4 stars (Rated PG13 – very mild, infrequent sex talk)

No comments:

Post a Comment