Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan


Bennie is an aging former punk rocker and record executive. Sasha is the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Here Jennifer Egan brilliantly reveals their pasts, along with the inner lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs.

The story of this book moves sideways, diagonally and backwards, but never simply forward.  It is a mind-bending, novel novel.  There is even a chapter told in Powerpoint slides.  While it was entertaining I’m still not what the message of the book was.  Ironically, after slogging my way through so many Pulitzer Prize winners last year, I picked this as my first book to be read this year.  I was about ¼ of the way through it before it was a winner of the Pulitzer Prize! Argh!

2 Stars (Rated R – language, sex)

No comments:

Post a Comment