Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier

Yes, yes…I know what you are thinking?  This sounds like an odd choice of a book for me to read and you are right!  I don’t remember where I first heard/read about this book, all I remember was that the premise intrigued me immensely and the book did not disappoint.

‘The City’ is a place inhabited by the newly-dead, those people who are still remembered by those living on the earth.  When all those who remember you pass on, you are sent to another place.  The City expands and gets smaller as needed. We are introduced to multiple characters in this city and watch them as they deal with their new state.

Meanwhile, Laura Byrd, is stranded at the South Pole and finds herself travelling through the frozen wasteland by herself. 

The book alternates between the two stories. I loved it!  I could not put it down. I read it within 24 hours and that includes sleeping and working!

4 stars (Rated PG-13 for occasional F-Bombs and profaning of Deity.)

No comments:

Post a Comment